Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/sccommu2/sites/sccommunityschool.org/core/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284

School Profile

“This education does not distinguish between class, race, wealth, or status, but requires that all children receive much knowledge, a variety of courses, and information communicated in a well-chosen language.”Quote2


From inception, the school board and founding staff of SCCS were deeply committed to several guiding principles:

  • that the school would be a Christian school
  • that the school would be “missional” (ie, would accept students and families who were not necessarily from a Christian or “church-attending” background),
  • that we would be intentional about diversity and drawing in students and staff from diverse racial and socioeconomic backgrounds – seeking to reflect the diversity of the South City area, and
  • that we would be committed to an educational approach that is primarily based on the philosophy and methodology of British educator, Charlotte Mason.

These guiding principles were painstakingly fleshed out in our vision and mission statements as well as our statement of faith, philosophy of education statement, core values, and distinctive statement, all foundational documents which we look to over and over again as we evaluate where we have been and determine where we are heading.

In 2010, SCCS “officially” opened with PreK-3 through 2nd grade, with 4 staff, 27 school students, and 9 students in a homeschool enrichment program.  It has been a tremendous blessing to see the Lord’s hand in growing and strengthening SCCS since this time!

In 2014, we were additionally able to secure a long-term space-use agreement with the Journey church, where we have been using space since 2010.  We are now the primary occupants of the building and have taken over almost every corner of the building to accommodate our expansion. We continue to share a strong and mutually beneficial relationship with the Journey, whom we consider to be one of our partnering churches. Our other partnering churches are South City Church, New City Fellowship – South City, and Midtown Church.

Current Description:

Now in 2016-2017, we are in our 7th year, with 32 staff and 151 students in grades PreK-3 through 8th grade, having added a grade each year since 2010 as well as multiple classes per grade in PreK-3 through 1st grade and growing each class size.  

Demographics and Diversity:
Consistent with our intentional mission, diversity at SCCS is a targeted focus for both admissions and hiring practices.  While our student and staff minority percentages are not fully reflective of the diversity in South City community at large, we have been encouraged to see our minority numbers grow in the past six years and continue to intentionally work towards this.

Budget and Financial Aid:

South City Community School’s current operating budget is approximately $658,000.  Tuition and fees cover 70% of the total budget.  Fundraising – through individual support, corporate grants or matching funds, and student scholarships from a local Archdiocesan scholarship program (Today & Tomorrow Educational Fund) – covers the remaining 30% of the budget.As an inner-city Christian school, SCCS is dedicated to providing need-based scholarships for families and students who would not otherwise consider private schooling.  Approximately 60% of our student body in kindergarten and above receives need-based financial aid (ranging from 20 – 95% reduction), with around $260,000 given in scholarships and discounts this school-year.

Our Annual Fund goal for this year is $250,000.  This fund goes to cover scholarships, enrichment trips and technology, impacting all students.

Word continues to spread and South City Community School is quickly gaining a solid reputation in the community as a unique, creative, and challenging approach to Christian education, right here in the city!


* * *
South City Community School admits students of any race, gender, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, and athletic and other school administered programs.